Contact: Tony Bell, Communications Deputy
Office: (213) 974-5555 Cell: (213) 215-5176
March 19, 2013
For Immediate Release
ANTONOVICH/MOLINA MOTION TO REEVALUATE JAIL PLAN UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED
LOS ANGELES COUNTY – A motion by Supervisors Michael D. Antonovich and Gloria Molina to hire an independent consultant to provide a comprehensive jail plan report in 60 days was approved unanimously.
“The CEO’s long-delayed proposal failed to answer critical questions on the future needs of the jail system,” said Supervisor Antonovich. “Without justification or rationale, it proposed a total of 1,348 beds dedicated for female inmates even though the current female inmate population is in excess of 2,400.”
“A comprehensive plan – not a piecemeal approach — is required for an informed and fiscally prudent decision” he said.
The comprehensive report will contain:
1. Description of existing facilities, number and types of beds;
2. Profile by classification of the existing inmate population;
3. Trend analysis that projects the need for beds by security classification type over the next ten, twenty and thirty years;
4. Jail plan options and related assumptions which include one-time and on-going funding needs; including state funding options; and,
5. A timeline/delivery schedule, including swing space during construction.
# # #